Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mardi Gras '10

The other students and I just returned from a missions outreach in New Orleans, LA. This is my second year, and their first. Let me just say that I went in to this with no expectation except that God was going to totally shift my mind completely, and move in radical ways.

The amount of people that attended from other churches and schools was pretty intense. All together there were about 340 people telling people about Christ on the streets of Mardi Gras. It was amazing. Before we headed to the streets the leadership of the outreach prepared us. They sent us out two by two (guy and girl) just like Jesus sent out the Seventy-two. Jesus said, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves (Luke 10:1-4).

They were sending us out to win people to Christ by his love. One major thing that I learned from this trip is that we should leave our house every morning with the same purpose, just as we left the place that we were staying to go minister to people on the streets. It became so real to me. Jesus is who I live my whole life for, so why was it so hard to bring him up in conversations with people? Not just the people that I will never see again at Mardi Gras, but people that I see everyday- my family, or the people that I have a relationship with and surrounded by.

Jesus moved in and through us as we ministered to people. His glory was shown through the abundance of our weakness, and people were saved. Their lives are being transformed. There is no reason that the people of my everyday life cannot share in the same joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment