Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dupes of Sin



Titus 3:3-8 hit me hard this week. The Message says, “It wasn’t so long ago that we ourselves were stupid and stubborn, dupes of sin ordered every which way by our glands, going around with a chip on our shoulder, hated and hating back. But when God, our kind and loving Savior God, stepped in, he saved us from all that. It was all his doing we gad nothing to do with it. He gave us a good bath, and we came out of it new people, washed inside and out by the Holy Spirit. Our savior Jesus pored out new life so generously. God’s gift has restored our relationship with him and given us back our lives. And there’s more life to come- eternity of life! You can count on this!”

It made me think. At one point I was that person who was a dupe of sin. Someone had to bring me to Jesus. Then I thought, who am I to decide whom I talk to? That is up to God, not me. If that person who showed me God’s love decided that what they were doing was more important than witnessing to me, I most likely wouldn’t be where I am with God right now. It’s crazy for me to think about all of the people that I pass everyday without responding to God’s urgent pushing. I wonder how many people passed me when I wasn’t living right.

I have realized that I have been selfish. We know how it feels to live that life. A life that is lost and numb to sin. It should hurt when we pass people on the streets that don’t know Jesus yet. Yet is the key word. Salvation is ready and available for everyone!

Right before Titus 3:3-8 it says, “God’s readiness to five and forgive is now public. Salvation’s available for everyone. We are being shown how to turn our backs on a godless, indulgent life, now, and is whetting our appetites for the glorious day when our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, appears. He offered himself as a sacrifice to free us from a dark, rebellious life into his good, pure life, making us a people he can be proud of, energetic in goodness.”

It also says, “When the time is right, go public with his truth!” I’m not going to stand on street corners, screaming at people, unless God says to. Only when he leads me to speak to someone, is when I’m going to speak. But I (we) have to be sensitive, alert and ready to go after God’s people.

No comments:

Post a Comment