Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Associated Thinking: Foundation

Have you ever played Word Association? It’s one of those games you play on long road trips that falls under the same category as the License Plate Alphabet game. The other day I played the Word Association game with The Detroit Free Press Newspaper. I chose one word and went with it. The word I chose was in bold, Detroit. I began to think out loud on paper. Writing words with bubbles around them and lines coming to and from them. I did that for a good five or ten minutes until I couldn’t possible think of anymore without going in circles.

Detroit obviously is a place so I started thinking about places I went and people I met, the things I was involved in. Then I started thinking about transportation. Then I randomly started thinking about Illinois, and how many states other than there I had been to. At the end of this adventure I realized how much time had past between all of those events. The things on my paper had all taken place in the past four to five years. While I was still word association mood I started thinking about how meaningful those past few years have been to my life. The most important things in my life happened in that short amount of time than in my whole life aside from the obvious, birth, digesting adult food, learning to speak, writing, reading, riding a bike etc. In the past few years I have really found out who Christ was, and who I wanted to be in him. I have learned how to love others, how to serve others, and how to worship.

During the journey on paper words would run into each other and some would take me in circles. When I was writing about the different places I have been and the things we did there the phrase God’s plan sprouted. From God’s plan different words sprouted from that, which were grace, love, experiences, and Detroit. God is so amazing. I realized how fast time goes by when you’re finding a foundation in Christ.

1 comment:

  1. I've played the game before... just not like this. I may have to do that...

    But yes, things do go fast when you're finding yourself in Christ.

    ReplyDelete