Thursday, November 5, 2009

Faith without deeds is dead.




I can’t imagine what faith without action. This morning I was reading in James and it stopped me. James 2:14-18 says, “ 14What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. 18But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.” This totally reminded me of a song by Brooke Fraser called Albertine. Her main chorus says, “Now that I have seen, I am responsible, Faith without deeds is dead. Now that I have held you in my own arms, I cannot let go till you are.”

I love verse 18, how it says I will show you my faith by what I do. Mark 11:27-33 Reveals the tension between the thinkers and the doers, those who plan and those who act. I want to have a faith that is acting, and not in a numbing routine.

I really have no idea why it took me so long to realize that you have to act on and in your faith. It’s not that hard to get. Even Einstein understood. If he understands, then we all should be able to, right? He said, “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.”
We have to step out of our routines, comfort zones, and step into the places that we don’t want to go, and into the places God wants us. We need to quit being so full of “us” or “I” and reach people, serve, and love them! Lets be like Jesus. I will have faith in action. If we don’t we have a dead faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment