Tuesday, November 24, 2009

God’s Timing



With Thanksgiving coming up, like everyone else, I have been thinking a lot about what I am thankful for. I was reading Colossians 3:16-17 and it says, “Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. (Not just thankful words). And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.” For me in my past I always found it easier to be thankful when things are going good, or what I thought was good, but was really just my way and my timing. I had to learn how to be thankful always because it’s not about me, and God has a greater plan for us than we could ever imagine.

I am thankful for where God has allowed me to be. I have to constantly look back in my journal at the places God has allowed me to go, and the things he has allowed me to do. As soon as I decided to follow Christ, I knew that I wanted to do nothing but speak the truth that was spoken to me to people who didn’t know it. I knew that I had this desire to reach God’s people for him. I always had all of these detailed ideas of what I was going to do after high school. They were things along the lines of being a missionary in Guatemala, or the Philippines. Or things like doing a Masters Commission program of some sort in places like Dallas, TX, Peoria, or Rockford, IL. Towards the end of this summer, which was right after high school, I realized that I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do. I found that the things I thought I would be doing I wasn’t going to do most likely, and new doors were opening up. I realized that I was focused on myself. Though that realization I was going back and forth trying to figure out if I should stay home and do ministry there, or go to Detroit.

God took over my timing and turned it into his. I found myself in office. And in that office two very influential people in my life told me what God was impressing on their hearts, and it was the impression that I should come to Detroit. Soon after that happened I was talking to on of my great friends, Kelly Schwenk, and she said, “Man, I wish that two amazing spiritual leaders would speak into my life and tell me what decision to make!” After she said that I responded with, “Yeah, I know right! That would be so awesome.” She laughed and looked at me and said, “April, you’re blind. They did!” So I listened to them. I asked God to step in! I set a date, packed my bags. I had no money, but God is the provider, and I drove with a friend to Detroit for a program called XMin Academy.

I am so thankful for the leaders that God has placed in my life. 1 Thessalonians 5:12 says, “And now, friends, we ask you to honor those leaders who work so hard for you, who have been given responsibility of urging and guiding you along in your obedience. Overwhelm them with appreciation and love!” I am thankful for God’s truth, and the way that he moves in us! God is doing amazing things in my heart. And Im also thankful for his timing and the amazing plan he has for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment